Vitra Design Museum + Schaudepot17,00 € / 15,00 €*Vitra Design Museum 11,00 € / 9,00 €*Schaudepot8,00 € / 6,00 €*Guided tours 1h (Architecture tour Vitra Campus or Exhibition tour) 7,00 € / 5,00 €**Reduced prices: young people from age 12, students, seniors,disabled persons, groups of more than 10 people, combination of 3 and more tickets/person, children under 12 years of age free
Vitra Design MuseumCharles-Eames-Str. 2D-79576 Weil am RheinT +49.7621.702.3200F +email@example.com
Daily 10 am – 6 pm,24 December 10 am – 2 pm. The museum is open on Sundays and on all public holiday.
12.03.2016 – 22.01.2017Vitra Design Museum
08.10.2016 – 22.01.2017Fire Station
04.06.2016 – 13.11.2016Schaudepot
01.10.2016 – 17.01.2017Kunsthal RotterdamNetherlands
12.10.2016 – 05.11.2016Designxport, HamburgGermany
14.10.2016 – 07.01.2017Tel Aviv Museum of ArtIsrael
The collection of the Vitra Design Museum ranks among the most important holdings of furniture design worldwide. It contains some 7000 pieces of furniture, a vast assemblage of lighting objects and numerous archives, as well as the estates of such designers as Charles & Ray Eames, Verner Panton and Alexander Girard. On 4 June 2016 opens the Vitra Schaudepot, created by the architectural firm Herzog & de Meuron, in which the Vitra Design Museum presents key pieces of its collection.
Guided tours through the Vitra Schaudepot:Highlights from the CollectionEvery Friday to Sunday 2 pmBehind the Scenes25.11.2016 & 13.01.2017 3 pm
Vitra Design Museum + Schaudepot17,00 € / 15,00 €*Vitra Design Museum or Schaudepot11,00 € / 9,00 €*Guided tours 1h (Architecture or Exhibition tour) 7,00 € / 5,00 €**Reduced prices: young people from age 12, students, seniors, disabled persons, groups of more than 10 people, combination of 3 and more tickets/person, children under 12 years of age free
Daily 10 am – 6 pm,24 December 10 am – 2 pm.The museum is open on Sundays and on all public holiday.
Design: 1928Production: 1929 to the presentManufacturer: Gebrüder Thonet AG, Frankenberg on Eder, GermanySize: 81 x 57 x 62.5; seat height 45 cmsMaterial: chrome-plated tubular steel, varnished wood, bentwood, wicker
Marcel Breuer’s cantilever chair is one of the best-known chairs in the world, but it often first came to the attention of consumers through cheap imitations. Breuer’s fondness for tubular steel and his knowledge of how to use it in chair construction was already illustrated in the Club chair “B 3” (Wassily) introduced in 1925. Breuer was revolutionary in abandoning the traditional construction of a chair based on four legs, but he was not the originator of this idea. The Dutch architect Mart Stam had already introduced the notion of a cantilevered chair to Heinz Rasch and Ludwig Mies van der Rohe in 1926 during the preparation of the Werkbund exhibition “Die Wohnung” (the apartment) for the Weissenhof Settlement in Stuttgart. The design was a far cry from a free-swinger for it was rigid. Ludwig Mies van der Rohe was the first to pick up on the idea of a chair without traditional leg support with his model “MR 10” and continued the straight barrel shape in a single curve to the seat. Both chairs were presented in the exhibition “Die Wohnung” (the apartement) in 1927 where Marcel Breuer saw them. Although Breuer allowed many of his tubular steel designs to be produced as standard furniture, he gave the production rights for the “B 32” (without armrests) and the “B 64” to Thonet. Stam’s complaint about the use of his designs was rejected by Breuer with the argument that he had already designed a U-shaped stool in 1925-6 for the canteen of the Bauhaus which – if it were laid on its side – anticipated the principle of the cantilevered chair. The main difference from Stam’s model lay in the combination of tubular steel construction with wooden frames for the seat and back, with a bentwood technique referring to the origins of the bending of tubular steel. Even if Breuer was not the originator of the cantilevered chair, his springy free-swinger became his greatest commercial success. When the Italian company Gavina s.p.a. took over production of the Breuer designs in 1962, the “B 64” received the nickname “Cesca” after Breuer’s adopted daughter, Francesca. PDDesigner: Marcel Breuer